Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sgt Slaughter (G.I. Joe Drill Instructor)

When the 2010 SDCC Exclusive Sgt Slaughter was announced, I knew that both my son and I would have to have one. His preference was the USA version, while I wanted the TTT version. Most of you know that the demand for these figures far exceeded the supply and many of us were left without our Sarge figures. My cousin was able to score one for Adam, but I still didn't have mine. Eventually, I obtained a couple of head casts from HissTank.com member returnofplex. One went to my cousin as partial payment for Adam's Sarge figure. The other was used for this custom figure...

Parts: Head (SDCC Sgt Slaughter cast), Torso & Arms (RoC Copperhead), Legs (RoC Gung Ho), M249 SAW (Marauder, Inc.).

Supplies: Dremel, paintbrushes, Testors paints, Folk Art paints, Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: My son's SDCC Sgt Slaughter figure.

I wasn't really trying to make an exact duplicate of any particular version of the Sarge, I just wanted one that had a combat-ready look to it. I used nail polish remover to get rid of the Cobra emblem on the chest. That meant no painting above the waist (aside from the head, of course). The pants were painted green and then given a more-or-less Woodland camouflage pattern. The boots were painted as green-sided jungle boots (my favorite when I was a Marine grunt). The head had to be Dremeled out so that it would fit the neck post. Afterward, I painted it to match my son's SDCC Sarge as closely as possible. To be honest, I've seen much better Sgt Slaughter customs, but I'm pretty happy with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment