Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cobra Tele-Viper (Communications Specialist)

A few months ago, I started reading G.I. Joe comics again (Thanks, Joel). Needless to say, a lot has happened since I stopped reading (around Marvel #90 or so) and I have been pulling lots of ideas for new custom figures from them. This was directly inspired by a scene in Frontline #18 where the Crimson Twins have a group of female Tele-Vipers working for them...

Parts: Helmet (25th Anniversary Tele-Viper), Head (Juno Eclipse), Body (RoC Cover Girl), Vest (25th Anniversary Tele-Viper), Submachine Pistol (RoC Baroness), Backpack (RoC Gung-Ho).

Supplies: Dremel, Super glue, X-Acto knife, Testors paints, Folk Art paint, Paintbrushes, Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: G.I. Joe Frontline #18.

I have been getting a lot of mileage out of this Cover Girl body. But honestly, what's not to like about it? It's a reasonably proportioned female figure wearing standard-looking military fatigues, that can be posed quite realistically. Anyway, for this custom, I popped off the Cover Girl head and tossed it in my parts box. I used the X-acto knife to trim away the part of the collar on the back of her neck so that it did not interfere with the helmet later on. The helmet was hollowed out using the Dremel. The helmet fit easily over the Juno Eclipse head and could be removed, if desired. However, the amount of modification needed to make the head fit the neck post required the helmet being glued on a bit later. The entire uniform was painted with Testors #1172 (Sea Blue). The cargo pockets on the legs were painted with Folk Art #440 (Violet Pansy). I mixed a little bit of black paint with the Folk Art stuff because it was just a bit too vibrant. I wanted the colors to match the male Tele-Viper that I have. When adding the vest, I trimmed it just a bit, so that it fit her more like the male Tele-Viper's vest fit him. I gave her the small backpack from an RoC Gung-Ho and a submachine pistol from the first RoC release of The Baroness (which my male Tele-Viper also carries). Finally, the entire figure was given a light coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce shine.

1 comment:

  1. She really turned out great - good work! I knew that I'd could eventually get you collecting and customizing Joes. ;)