Sunday, January 24, 2010

Road Pig (Dreadnok)

Once I finished my Zarana figure, it was pretty much a given that I'd eventually get around to Road Pig. This one was a lot of fun, not to mention a bit more challenging than most of my recent work.

Parts: Head (Slayer Design Studios), Torso (RoC Monkeywrench), Arms (RoC Monkeywrench), Legs (RoC Copperhead), accessories (ARAH Road Pig).

Initially, I had planned to use the entire upper body from one of the WWE figures I found on clearance (you can't beat $1.73 for parts). But when I started to mock up the parts, it quickly became obvious that it was going to look weirdly disproportionate. So I ended up using one of the Monkeywrench bodies I had in my parts box. I added Copperhead's legs to give him some additional height. I did end up using the Razor Ramon head, because I liked the sneer on his face (EDIT 05/03/2011 - I replaced the Razor Ramon head with a Road Pig head from Slayer Design Studios). The belt on the Monkeywrench torso was also dremeled away and I added the belt from the same Copperhead figure I took the legs from. Once the figure was assembled, I painted it to match the vintage version as closely as possible. The anarchy tattoo was applied using the X-acto blade. I received a full set of vintage Road Pig accessories in a trade with a fellow FFURG member (thanks again, Gene). This version of Road Pig is deliberately much leaner than the original character was supposed to be, so I had to build up the shoulder pads so that they'd fit correctly. I did this by lining the underside of the pads with Super Sculpey and then gently pushing them onto his shoulders the way I wanted them to fit. I trimmed away the visible excess and dropped the pads into a mug of boiling water to cure the Super Sculpey. Once the accessories were painted and applied, I gave the entire figure some "weathering" and "road grime" by way of a dark wash and careful use of a butane lighter. The entire figure was given a light coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment