Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blizzard (G.I. Joe Arctic Attack Soldier)

This is another figure that I made for my son, Adam. He needed someone to fight the RoC Ice-Viper he recently picked up!

Parts: Head (Garvin Dreis from the Star Wars Scramble on Yavin Battle Pack), Body (RoC Arctic Threat Shipwreck), Uzi Submachinegun, Helmet, Skis &, Backpack (ARAH Blizzard), Goggles (25th Anniversary Para-Viper), Snowshoes & Ice Cleats (RoC Arctic Threat Shipwreck).

Supplies: Super Sculpey, X-acto Knife, super glue, paintbrushes, Testors paint and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: None

The only real change to the original figure was swapping the head and trimming the hood. The head required a little bit of Super Sculpey inside so that it would fit the neck post properly. The hood was trimmed down using the X-acto knife. I wanted to keep the hood, it just needed to be a bit smaller so that the helmet would fit properly. Once that was done, I set about making the vintage accessories compatible. I trimmed the existing peg from the backpack and replaced it with a little length of plastrux rod so that it would fit the back hole on the figure. I have not yet been brave enough to try modifying the foot pegs on the skis. They would need significant modification to fit the figure's feet. It is possible to do so, but the skis would no longer attach to the backpack to make a nifty E&E (escape and evasion) sled. I may address the skis again, at some point. The goggles were cut and glued to the helmet. The barrel, front sight and handgrip of the Uzi were painted black. The rest of the weapon is sculpted to look like it was wrapped in white cloth for camouflage purposes, so I left it white. I also have the white pistol that came with the vintage Blizzard figure, but lacking a working holster that it would fit into, I decided to leave it out for now. Last, but not least, the entire figure was given a light application of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment