This is another of my childhood toys that was rescued from mom's attic. It had reall seen better days, so I decided to spruce it up a bit...
Two of the missile mounting studs had been broken off back in the 80's, so I used the Dremel to smooth these areas out a bit as if the studs were never there. I also removed the footpegs, which are far too big for the modern era Joes. Before putting the Dremel away, I also drilled a small holed in the housing behind the seat. This allows the SCUBA gear from RoC Shipwreck to be attached there. It seemed logical that a guy would need some way to escape if his boat was crippled and the bad guys were closing in. Once the Dremeling was finished, the entire top portion was spray-painted with Testors Competition Orange. The hull piece was spray-painted with flat grey. The "no-skid" was painted using flat black. For those who don't know, this is essentially a very gritty paint used by naval forces to make an area more or less "slip-proof". Seemed like a good idea for the areas where a person would be getting in and out of the boat.
I used a lot of aluminum, steel, gunmetal and other colors to bring out some of the sculpted details. The replacement decals came from our pal Ruben in Mexico.
Out in the wild finds
1 month ago