Saturday, February 26, 2011

Skystriker II

Like many children of the 1980's, the Skystriker was one of my all-time favorite toys. Mine was more or less destroyed and I ended up selling it for parts back before I got back into collecting G.I. Joe toys (oh, how I regret that decision). Once I got back into Joes, I started looking around for one, but vintage Skystrikers were going for quite a bit on ebay at the time. A friend over at FFURG was looking to trade off a Power Team Elite F/A-18 Hornet, so I decided to do the next best thing and create a Skystriker 2.0! So I secured the trade and then set about my research. It didn't take long to figure out that many other customizers had done something similar. In order to make mine a bit different, I decided to keep the low-visibility paint scheme and try to obtain matching decals. I had to go no further than my normal source, Ruben Jimenez. He agreed to modify a set of Skystriker decals to fit my needs. The aircraft itself only received minor paint applications and some Testors Dull-Cote. The funny thing is that as I was finishing this up, I stumbled across a very reasonably priced ARAH Skystriker, so I am now starting to restore that, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment