Saturday, May 1, 2010

Monkeywrench (Dreadnok)

The RoC Monkeywrench released last year by Hasbro was not a terrible figure, but it needed a bit of improvement...

Parts: Head (Slayer Design Studios), Entire figure (RoC Monkeywrench), SCAR Rifle (Marauder, Inc.), Bandannas (RoC Tunnel Rat).

Supplies: Super Sculpey, Paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: Still photos of the ARAH Monkeywrench figure.

Like I said, the base figure wasn't bad. In my opinion, it just needed some more of the details from the ARAH figure. The bandannas were the first, and easiest, fix. Since I bought several of the Monkeywrench/Tunnel Rat 2-packs when they were on clearance, I just took two of the bandannas from my extra Tunnel Rat figures and painted them red. I applied Dull-Cote to seal the paint and then set them aside. Next, I repainted his pants so that they resembled the faded jeans the character wore in the 80's. I also painted the various patches onto his jeans. Moving on to his vest, I used my X-acto knife to shave off the equipment (the vest came from the same mold as Gung-Ho's vest) and then sanded it smooth.

EDIT 05/03/2011 - I replaced the original head with one from Slayer Design Studios.

Once dry, I replaced his grenade bandolier, added the bandannas to his lower legs and armed him with a SCAR from Marauder, Inc. I wanted to equip him with the same nasty-looking pitchfork gun that the ARAH figure came with, but as of this posting I have not been able to acquire one. If and when I do, I'll update the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment