Monday, July 26, 2010

D.E.M.O.N. (Iron Grenadier Armored Vehicle)

Once I finished all my Ferret crew members, it seemed only right that I fix up my old D.E.M.O.N. for them, right?

The entire vehicle was disassembled and given a warm, soapy bath. It really needed it after all those backyard battles fought back in the late 80's. Anyway, once the whole thing was clean, I reassembled most of the vehicle.

The clear red piece that fits on the front of the crew cab had been missing since the 80's, so I had to fashion a replacement piece. I used foamboard for this because it is sturdy enough to last indefinitely, but it can slide right out if I am ever able to acquire the proper piece.

I repainted the missiles and guns metallic 14K gold. I took a few liberties along the way because I wanted this thing to really look fantastic. I always thought that there should be a bit more red in the D.E.M.O.N.'s color scheme, so I found ways to work it in.

The entire hull was spray-painted black, eliminating the grey areas. The treads were spray-painted black. After they had dried, I used a rolled up piece of sandpaper to scrape away some of the paint. I'm pretty happy with the results of that. Mechanical parts that would likely show paint wear from use were drybrushed with silver, gunmetal, steel or aluminum paints. The crew cab was painted to show all of the equipment inside. A new set of decals was ordered from J. Ruben, and I must say, they looked fantastic. After the decals were applied, I gave the entire vehicle a light application of Testors Dull-Cote.

No comments:

Post a Comment