Monday, July 26, 2010

Iron Anvil (Iron Grenadier Paratrooper)

Iron Anvil troopers are Destro's elite paratroopers.
















These guys were really fun to do because I worked on them alongside my 6-year old daughter, Kate. She knows from watching me make previous customs that IG Officers have purple trim rather than the traditional red of the enlisted troops. One of her favorite colors is purple, so she insisted that she had to be the one to paint the Officer.

Parts: Head (ARAH Viper v4), Entire Body (25th Anniversary Battle Armor Cobra Commander), Parachute Harness (25th Anniversary Snow Serpent), Weapon (RoC Reactive Armor Ripcord).

Supplies: Dremel, X-acto knife, paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: Photos of the Convention Exclusive Iron Anvil figure. Also refer to the reference section in the post for Voltar.

These guys are just like the rest of my Iron Grenadier troops. Each figure used the 25th Anniversary Battle Armor Cobra Commander body with a new head and accessories (big thanks to James, for the three Viper heads). The paint scheme was based on that of the convention exclusive Iron Anvil figures. Mind you, Kate has done several figures of her own and she helped paint the Red Cap, but this was the first time she wanted to help work on one of my figures. So, I sat her down and explained that we would each paint our base figure black. I told her it was okay if a little silver showed through, because these would look like scratches on the armor (according to their file cards, Iron Anvil troopers sometimes make parachute drops without parachutes). I painted the red and gold trim on my helmet, but in Kate's case, she was using the original Viper head so it was already purple (mine was cast in white plastic). She just had to paint the black and gold. Both of the parachute harnesses were dyed black and then drybrushed with red or purple (Kate already knew how to drybrush from helping me work on the Red Cap). The rifles were also drybrushed with steel-colored paint on the areas that would be metal. The areas that would be high-impact plastic were left unpainted. After painting, they were given a light application of Testors Dull-Cote. I had parts assembled for three of these guys, but for the moment only the two pictures here are finished. When I get around to it, the third one will be another enlisted man with red trim on his armor. But the fact is that Kate was pretty excited to post these, so she didn't want to wait for me to finish the third one!

No comments:

Post a Comment