Thursday, February 12, 2009

Voort saBinring (Gamorrean Pilot - Wraith Squadron)

Voort saBinring, or "Piggy", was a Gamorrean male and member of Wraith Squadron from its inception in 7ABY through the Yuuzhan Vong War. I've always liked this character and decided to make him as a background character for my Rogue Squadron hangar diorama.

Parts: Head (PotF2 Gamorrean Guard), Everything else (PotJ Jek Porkins).

Supplies: Dremel, paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: I used descriptions from the X-Wing books by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston, as well as a color picture I found at Wookieepedia.

I acquired the headless Porkins body in a trade. I spent a considerable amount of time trimming the head down with the X-acto knife and then sanding it smooth. Once finished, I attached the Gamorrean head to the body. I was kind of surprised with how good it looked. I had expected lots of problems with the proportions of the body parts. The helmet is actually a Jek Porkins helmet. I dropped it into a mug of boiling water, let it heat for about 30 seconds and then crammed it onto his head. Surprisingly, it fit almost perfectly. I then dropped the whole figure into a mug of cold water to "set" the helmet. Once it was set, I used my Dremel with a small drill bit to drill holes for his horns. The helmet now fits his head perfectly and can be removed, as desired. I shaved away the molded leg straps and then sanded the areas. The result looked like his flight suit is a bit worn in those areas so I sanded a bit on the rest of his suit, so that it matched. The new leg straps were made with white vinyl tape. It worked out well, but if you're going to try this, you'd better have some patience! The only painting on this figure was a bit of touch up where I'd scratched the paint during the sanding and a new paint job for the helmet.

1 comment:

  1. The work you did to touch up the sanding is great. You can't tell it's even there.

    If I had to say one thing, while the Porkins body is the best available, it still lacks the girth/size even a smallish Gamorrean should have.

    ReplyDelete