Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ooryl Qyrgg (Gand Pilot - Rogue Squadron)

Ooryl is a Gand Findsman who joined the squadron when it was re-built by Wedge Antilles. A Findsman is similar to a bounty hunter in the Gand culture. Unlike many Gands, who are ammonia breathers, Ooryl does not respire at all. Upon joining the squadron, Ooryl became fast friends with Corran Horn and usually served as Corran's wingman. He was promoted to Lieutenant during his assignment with the squadron.

Parts: Head (Zuckuss), Torso (TAC Biggs Darklighter), Arms (TAC Biggs Darklighter), Legs (TAC Biggs Darklighter), Hands (Zuckuss), Helmet (PotJ Mon Calamari Officer).

Supplies: X-acto knife, emery board, file, super glue, paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: To my knowledge, there are no pictures of Ooryl Qyrgg (or at least, I couldn't find any at the time that I made this figure's head). However, Michael A. Stackpole gives a pretty good description of him in his series of X-wing books. I used descriptions from the books.

Like the last few figures I've done, this is actually a new version of a character I've made in the past. I used the same head and hands from the original figure and added them to a TAC Biggs Darklighter body. To make the helmet, I took the helmet from the PotJ Mon Cal Officer and trimmed it down, a little bit at a time, until it fit Ooryl's head. While trying to decide upon a paint scheme, I recalled that I'd read in one of the X-wing books that Gands can see in several different spectrums, which means that something that might appear to be plain or uncolored would actually appear quite vibarnt to a Gand. Because of this, I decided to leave his helmet absolutely plain (and I can always paint it later if I change my mind). I also applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment