Friday, August 5, 2011

T.A.R.G.A.T. v2 (Iron Grenadier Rapid Deployment Trooper),

Next up in my campaign to modernize my Iron Grenadiers are the Trans-Atmospheric Global Assault Troopers (T.A.R.G.A.T.). Several others have made T.A.R.G.A.T. figures using the same figure as a base - in fact, the figure hadn't even been released when artistic re-colorings started appearing on HissTank.com. This is my own spin on that idea. The photos show my four completed TARGAT's boarding an Iron Grenadier Razor Gunship, which will deliver them to a low orbit where they will await target instructions and a deployment order.

Parts: Entire figure (PoC Skydive), Jet-pack (RoC General Hawk v4), IG decals (CobraStickers).

I tried something new with these guys - at least, new for me. I have dyed figures or figure parts in the past and I've had pretty good results with it.

Softer plastics (like those used in the arms and lower legs) definitely absorb the dye much better than harder plastics (like those used in torsos and upper legs). What I tried to do here was to dye the figure as a way of minimizing the amount of paint I'd eventually need to use. I wanted the figure and the vest/webgear to be black, so I dropped those parts into a bowl of black RIT dye. While, they were soaking, I made sure to move the joints around. If you don't do this, you'll find that the dye did not get into the joints and the original color will show when you move the joint. Once the figures had soaked for what I decided was a reasonable amount of time, I pulled them out and rinsed them in cold water. You need to be careful to make sure you get all the water out of the joints and internal spaces. Otherwise, it will seep out later - perhaps while you're painting. The results of the dye were better than I'd hoped - all of the areas that had been green on the figure were now black, and the areas that had been painted grey to depict armor, were now a very dark reddish (not sure how that happened, but up close, it looks like the color of dried blood).

No comments:

Post a Comment