Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Astromech Droids

Astromech droids are an integral part of any X-Wing unit. The little droids assist in maintenance and operation of the ships, enabling the pilot to concentrate on flying and fighting.

Parts: Various astromech droids.

Supplies: X-acto knife, super glue, Testors Dull-Cote, Paints and Brushes.

Reference: Drawings from The Essential Guide to Droids, as well as various photos and descriptions. I wanted to increase the number of different-looking droids I had, so I just kind of set out to make a bunch.

Step One: I painted the droid according to my own ideas.

Step Two: Once the paint had dried, I applied a light coat of Testors Dull-Cote to protect the paint and remove the shiny appearance.

Step Three: Finally, I added some weathering and dirt.

Note: Remember that astromech droids serve a utility purpose and they are not normally shiny and clean. Some of my astromechs received many dark washes. You can also paint an access door a slightly different color. That makes it look like it has been replaced. To make your droids different from each other, use small tools and robotic arms to make them look as if they are carrying out some repair task. Small bits of wire are excellent for finishing touches.
















No comments:

Post a Comment