Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dunlo Urstin (Human Pilot - Thunder Squadron)

A native of Ralltir, Lieutenant Dunlo Urstin is a member of Ten Nunb's Thunder Squadron. After his squadron leader, Urstin is the best pilot in the unit. He will normally volunteer for the most difficult assignment during each mission.

Parts: Head (Cantina Han Solo), Torso (Ten Numb), Left Arm (Biggs Darklighter), Right Arm (F/X X-Wing Luke Skywalker), Legs (Ten Nunb), Helmet (Ten Nunb).

Supplies: X-acto knife, Super Sculpey, file, emery board, paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: I wanted to create a couple of B-Wing pilots to flesh out Ten Nunb's Thunder Squadron as background characters in a hangar diorama. This guy is the second of them. I used reference stills from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi to get the uniform correct.

Step One: I assembled the necessary parts using the boil-n-pop method and then allowed the figure to cool completely.

Step Two: To make the figure a little taller, I cut off the Ten Nunb boots. I added a little bit of Super Sculpey to the top of the boots and cured with boiling water. Then, I super glued the boots back on.

Step Three: I cut one side of the facemask so that it looks like he has it disconnected. The area near the cut was trimmed to look like a buckle and then painted silver.

Step Four: I painted the flightsuit red. Parts of the chest controls were touched up with different metallic colors. The gloves were painted black. The hair was painted black and he was given a beard and mustache to help disguise the Han face.

Step Five: After the paint was dry, I applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce the shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment