Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Slave I (modified prototype Firespray-31-class Patrol and Attack Craft)

This is one of the coolest ships in the Star Wars universe and I had always thought that there should have been more detail and accessories with it. So, I decided to take a shot at improving upon the original version.

Parts: POTF2 Slave I, various blasters, weapons rack, various other accessories.

Supplies: X-acto knife, super glue, emery board or file, butane lighter, brushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: None.

I started by taking the whole thing apart. I eventually wanted to be able to show the detail of the cargo hold, so the swivelling pilot seat was out. I removed the lever that operates it and glued it in place. The inside of the cockpit was painted a combination of black, steel, aluminum and grey. I used the straps from the POTF2 Yoda backpack to make crash webbing (seatbelts) for the pilot seat. The interior of the cargo hold was painted steel and aluminum. The body of the ship was then put back together. The side door was cut to remove the back part and then super-glued in place. This makes it appear as if a hatch had opened inward to allow access to the ship.

I used a couple of weapons racks and a lot of spare weaponry to make the interior of the cargo hold look like Fett's private armory.

The blaster cannons were painted gunmetal and steel. A lot of dry-brushing was done using steel, aluminum and gunmetal to show general wear. The decals were then applied and the entire ship was then given a light coat of Testors Dull-Cote.

The ship was given several washes of very thinned out black paint to show oil leaks and general wear and tear. Scratches were made with a hobby knife and then filled in with aluminum-colored paint. I used a butane lighter to create blaster burns on the hull (by now, I've gotten quite good at this).

Dull-Cote was applied liberally to every part of the ship, except the cockpit windscreen.



No comments:

Post a Comment