Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Corran Horn (Human Pilot - Rogue Squadron)

Corran Horn was an officer of the Correllian Security Force (CorSec) who defected to the New Republic. When Wedge Antilles put out the call for "hot-hand" pilots to rebuild the famed Rogue Squadron, Corran jumped at the opportunity. Corran was assigned to Rogue Squadron until the kidnapping of his wife forced him to leave the squadron and begin training as a Jedi, in hopes of finding her.

Parts: Head (Dash Rendar), Torso (Biggs Darklighter), Arms (Biggs Darklighter), Legs (Biggs Darklighter), Helmet (Blastshield Helmet Luke Skywalker), Lightsaber (Any).

Supplies: X-acto knife, emery board or file, super glue, paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: This figure was intended to be Corran Horn as he appeared in the X-Wing books by Michael A. Stackpole. Because I could not find any pictures of him from that timeframe, I had to rely on descriptions from the books.

Step One: First, I remove the Biggs head using the boil-n-pop method. I attached the Dash head and allowed the figure to cool completely.

Step Two: Next, I cut the boots off the legs. I cut about 1/8 of an inch off the boot-tops and used super glue to re-attach the boots. Although I don't know his exact height, Corran is supposed to be a fairly short man, so I performed this step to ensure he would be shorter than the rest of my Rogue Squadron pilots.

Step Three: I used the X-acto knife to carefully shave the beard off the head. A bit of sanding was required to get the smooth look I wanted.

Step Four: I painted the flightsuit a dark green. I also painted dark green trim on the helmet. The belt and legs straps should be either grey or white. Corran's hair should be very dark brown. I tried painting his hair a lighter brown and then dry-brushing a darker color over it. I was very happy with the results.

Step Five: Then, I attached the lightsaber to Corran's belt with a small drop of super glue.

Step Six: Finally, I applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce the shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment