Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Garik Loran (Human Pilot - Wraith Squadron)

Garik Loran, a native of Pantolomin, was a young actor who appeared in a large number of Imperial propaganda films. He was captured by Alliance extremists who showed him what the Empire was really all about before they planned to execute him for aiding the Emperor. An Imperial attack on the rebel outpost resulted in both sides being decimated, and Garik himself sustained multiple injuries. He escaped and after recovering from his injuries, decided to join the Alliance. His "death" was reported shortly before the Battle of Yavin, and broke the hearts of many young girls. Among most of the Alliance personnel, Garik was known as "The Face" because of the popularity of his cherubic face, although the battle left him with a few scars. After considerable ups and downs, he was accepted into Wraith Squadron. Loran served as the squadron's insertion expert and part-time cook. For his part in rescuing the Night Caller during Apwar Trigit's attack on Talasea, Face was promoted to Lieutenant. After the defeat of Warlord Zsinj at Kuat, Face was promoted to brevet Captain by Wedge Antilles, a position was was eventually made official by the New Republic after the Battle of Selaggis.

Parts: Head (POTJ Obi-Wan Kenobi), Torso (Wedge Antilles), Arms (Ponda Baba), Hands (Han Solo), Legs (Wedge Antilles), Jacket (Ponda Baba), Helmet (Jek Porkins).

Supplies: Dremel, X-acto knife, super glue, emery board, file, paintbrushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.
Reference: Descriptions given in Aaron Allston's X-wing novels (and some of my own ideas to fill in the blanks).

Step One: First, I removed the Wedge arms and head, replacing them with the Ponda Baba arms and the Obi-Wan head.

Step Two: I trimmed the braid and ponytail from the new head using the X-acto knife, sanding as necessary.

Step Three: Next, I cut off the Ponda Baba hands.

Step Three: I put the jacket on the figure. In the X-Wing comics, pilots can often be seen wearing an orange jacket over their flightsuits before or after missions, so I decided to add one to this figure the way I did with my Wedge Antilles figure.

Step Four: I super glued the Han hands to the arms.

Step Five: I repainted the head, and gave him a bit darker skin tone. I also painted the hair and eyebrows black. I modified the paint-job on the Porkins helmet just enough that it looked different from the helmet on my Porkins figure.

Step Six: Finally, I applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce the shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment