Thursday, October 16, 2008

Colonel Soontir Fel (Imperial Pilot)

Baron Colonel Soontir Fel was the leader of the elite 181st Fighter Squadron and the best pilot the Empire had to offer. He was married to Wynnsa Starflare, who was actually the sister of Wedge Antilles. Fel was captured by the Alliance and joined Rogue Squadron. He later disappeared during a mission and it was assumed that he had been captured by the Director of Imperial Intelligence, Ysanne Isard. Fel had actually been abducted by a group of Chiss, who were loyal to Grand Admiral Thrawn. They managed to convince Fel that the fate of the galaxy hinged on their success in beating back a mysterious foe. Fel joined them in their fight and was not seen by anyone from the New Republic again, until Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade stumbled across him while searching for the Hand of Thrawn. During the fight against the Yuuzhan Vong, Fel sent four squadrons of starfighters to assist. They were commanded by his son, Jagged.

Parts: Head (Space Force Guy), Torso (TIE Fighter Pilot), Arms (TIE Fighter Pilot), Legs (TIE Fighter Pilot), Kneepads (vintage Biker Scout), Helmet (TIE Fighter Pilot), Blaster (Grand Moff Tarkin).

Supplies: Dremel, Super Sculpey, super glue, X-acto knife, file or emery board, Testors Dull-Cote, Paints and Brushes.

Reference: Dark Horse's X-Wing: Rogue Squadron comics. I used the cover of the In The Empire's Service graphic novel.

Step One: I assembled the necessary parts using the boiling water method and then allowed the figure to cool completely.

Step Two: Next, I cut the air hoses from the helmet where they connect to the helmet. I did not not cut the hoses off the control box. I drilled a tiny hole where each hose should connect to the helmet. Using the Dremel, I hollowed out the helmet.

Step Three: I glued the control box to the figure's chest upside down. That way, the hoses hang down like they would if they were disconnected.

Step Four: Using the Super Sculpey, I sculpted a holster for Fel's blaster. After curing, I super glued it to his right hip.

Step Five: I used super glue to attach the kneepads to Fel's legs.

Step Six: I painted the figure according to the reference pictures.

Step Seven: Finally, I applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to seal the paint and reduce the shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment