Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Diorama: Super Star Destroyer Executor

I'm not really sure if this project is finished or not. It was something that started on a whim and rapidly gained momentum. I haven't done anything new with it since 2003 or 2004, so maybe it is done...

Parts: Vintage Star Destroyer playset, blaster rack, small wood blocks.
Supplies: X-acto knife, Emery board or file, Testor's Dull-Cote, Paints and Brushes.
Reference: Still photos from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
I obtained a vintage Darth Vader's Star Destroyer playset for around $12 on eBay. Most of the parts were present, but a couple of them were broken. The light in Vader's chamber didn't work, either. I probably could make a much nicer playset from scratch, but I kind of wanted the look of the old Kenner playset.
I started the job by carefully removing the stickers. Most of them nearly fell off. The I washed everything (except the electronics) in warm, soapy water. I allowed everything to dry thoroughly. Then, all of the exterior sides were spray painted a very slightly off-white and all of the interior spaces were spray painted with a dark metallic grey.
I used small blocks of wood to create computer monitors. The blocks were painted black and then the readouts were created by cutting the "monitor screens" from the salvaged decals, and gluing them to the blocks. They look pretty cool because they have that vintage playset look about them.
A weapons rack with three light blaster rifles was placed at the main viewport (front of the playset). The turbolaser below the main viewport was missing, so I replaced it with a spare cannon from the Millennium Falcon.
Using photo stills from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, I painted Vader's meditation chamber gloss black on the outside with a flat white interior. The red light cover was then re-installed (unfortunately, I can't seem to find the right kind of light bulb to get the interior light working again).

No comments:

Post a Comment