Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kir Kanos (Imperial Royal Guardsman)

Kir Kanos is the last surviving member of Emperor Palpatine's elite Royal Guardsmen. After defeating the traitor Carnor Jax, Kanos assumed the identity of the bounty hunter Kenix Kil.

Parts: Head (Emperor's Royal Guard), Torso (Sandtrooper), Arms (Sandtrooper), Legs (Sandtrooper), Cape (Emperor's Royal Guard), Battlestaff (home-made).

Supplies: X-acto knife, super glue, file, emery board, brushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: Dark Horse's Crimson Empire and Crimson Empire II: Council of Blood.

Step One: First, I cut off both heads and super glued the guard's head onto the Sandtrooper body.

Step Two: Next, I painted the figure according to the reference pictures and allowed it to dry completely.

Step Three: Then I applied a coat of Testors Gloss-Cote to seal the paint.

Step Four: I attached the cape to the figure with a small dab of super glue at each shoulder.

Step Five: The battlestaff was made from a piece of a Tusken Raider's gaffi stick. I just trimmed it down to the proper length. Then, I took a thin piece of plastic (the packaging bubble from a carded figure works great) and cut out the blade. The staff is twisted by the user in order to extend one or bothe of the blades hidden inside. I chose to only have one blade attached, indicating that the other one has not been extended yet. I cut a slit in the gaffi stick, and glued the blade into the stick. Finally, I painted it accordingly, and applied a light coating of Dull-Cote.

Note: This was a one-afternoon project that I threw together pretty quickly. There are a few details that are not exactly as they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment