Tuesday, October 14, 2008

CT65 / 91-6210 Commander Deviss (Officer of the 327th Star Corps)

Commander Deviss was flash-trained as a Captain and assigned to the 327th Star Corps as the Commanding Officer of K Company. During the Battle of Geonosis, his battalion (Hawkbat) was ordered to march directly into the withering fire of a Separatist spider droid column. Hawkbat was almost completely wiped out, and Deviss risked his life to stay behind a shallow bomb crater, tending to two critically injured soldiers. For three hours, he defended their position as monstrous spider droids passed overhead. At last, the casevac team arrived. His men were rescued, and Deviss received a medal and a new command. At the brutal Battle of Altyr V, his Jedi General was vaporized by enemy fire, leaving Deviss to improvise a new plan of attack. Not only did he rally the remaining companies, but he also destroyed a Separatist ion cannon emplacement, opening the battlefield to aerial bombardment and winning the day for the Republic. For this act of bravery and initiative, ARC Commander Bly promoted Deviss to Commander. Deviss was allowed to don the ARC pauldron and kama, as well as the special macrobinocular helmet attachment.

Parts: Head (Clone Commander), Torso (Clone Commander), Arms (Clone Commander), Legs (Clone Commander), Shoulder Pauldron (Clone Commander), Equipment Belt & Kama (Clone Commander), Blastr Pistols (Clone Commander), Blaster Rifle (Clone Commander).

Supplies: X-acto knife, super glue, brushes, Polly Scale paints and Testors Gloss-Cote.

Reference: Pictures and information from Star Wars Insider.

Step One: First, I removed the head figure. Although the fact that it moved was a nice feature, I didn't particularly like the look of the figure's macrobinocular helmet attachment. I wanted the more streamlined look of the actual item, so I used my X-acto knofe to trim away the pegs on either side of the helmet. I then trimmed the attachment itself, slimming it down to the point where it could be glued to the helmet for a more natural look. After gluing the attachment in place, I allowed it to dry before continuing.

Step Two: The rest of the figure was as "reference-correct" as I have seen. The only thing lacking was the excessive battle scarring shown in the reference picture. I applied this using several different techniques, including drybrushing and scraping off small areas of the original armor markings. To accomplish the scuffing and scratching that is common to all military equipment, I used the edge of my X-acto knife to carefully scrape all of the armor's prominent edges. These are the areas that are most likely to brush against things and become worn or scratched.

Step Three: A coat of Testors Gloss-Cote was applied to protect the paint and enhance the shiny appearance of the armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment