Friday, October 3, 2008

Jaina Solo (Jedi Knight)

Years after the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Jaina must face her twin brother, Jacen, who is now the Sith Lord Darth Caedus. Knowing that she is no match for Caedus' Sith powers, she hires none other than Boba Fett to train her. This figure depicts Jaina as she appeared during her final duel with Caedus aboard the Star Destroyer Anakin Solo.

Parts: Head (EU Leia Organa Solo), Torso (Juno Eclipse), Arms (Juno Eclipse), Legs (Juno Eclipse), Lightsaber (Comic Pack Mara Jade).

Supplies: X-acto knife, Super Sculpey, emery board or file, sandpaper, paint brushes, pushpin, Polly Scale paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: Cover illustration from Legacy of the Force: Invincible.

Step One: First, I removed the original head. Because the new head was not the same type as the orginal (ball-jointed), I had to dremel out the new head so that it fit correctly on the neck post. Once I was happy with the fit, I set the head aside for later.

Step Two: Next, I used my X-acto knife to carefully shave away the rank insignia and code cylinders on the front of the uniform. I also trimmed away the portion of the tunic that extended below her belt. Doing so left the waist looking a bit unnatural, so I filled the area in with Super Sculpey and then sculpted it down to look correct.

Step Three: After curing the Sculpey, I sanded the area smooth. I added three utility pouches to her belt. The pouches were made from small pieces of leftover plastic from my "bits box".

Step Four: Next, I painted the entire figure according to the reference picture. The eyes were tricky and were painted with small dabs of paint applied with the pointy end of a pushpin.

Step Five: When the paint was dry, I applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to the entire figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment