Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kyle Katarn (Human Jedi Master)

This version of Kyle was inspired by my interest in the New Jedi Order novel series. At the time I made this figure, he had not yet appeared in that series (although he did later on). I thought that Kyle would make a great addition to the series, so I created my own NJO Kyle figure.

Parts: Head (Kyle Katarn), Torso (Dagobah Luke Skywalker), Arms (Kyle Katarn), Legs (Dagobah Luke Skywalker), Boots (Dr. Evazan), Blaster (Kyle Katarn), Lightsaber (Deluxe Qui-Gon Jinn).
Supplies: Dremel, X-acto knife, Super Sculpey, emery board or file, super glue, brushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.
Reference: This was my interpretation of Kyle Katarn, nearly twenty years after the Valley of the Jedi adventure. I based the figure on illustrations from the Dark Forces trade paperbacks by Dark Horse and a New Jedi Order era drawing of Kyle that appeared in Star Wars Insider #57.
Step One: I assembled the necessary parts using the boiling water method and then allowed the figure to cool completely.
Step Two: Next, I cut off Luke's boots and super glued the Evazan boots onto the legs.
Step Three: Using the X-acto knife, I carefully cut the holster from the Kyle figure and glued it to the leg of the new figure in the same spot. At this point, I also added a belt pouch from my parts box.
Step Four: Then I painted the figure, according to my references.
Step Five: Once the figure was completely dry, I applied a coat of Testors Dull-Cote to protect the paint and reduce the shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment