Monday, October 13, 2008

CT91 / 67-2391 (Sniper - 41st Elite Legion)

CT 91 / 67-2391 is a sniper assigned to Sarlaac Battalion A of the 41st Elite Legion, under Commander Gree.

Parts: Head (Clone Airborne Trooper), Torso (Clone Airborne Trooper), Arms (Clone Airborne Trooper), Legs (Clone Airborne Trooper), Equipment Belt & Kama (Clone Airborne Trooper), Shoulder Bag & Blaster Pistol (Clone Airborne Trooper), Blaster Rifle (POTF2 Sandtrooper).

Supplies: X-acto knife, super glue, brushes, Polly Scale paints, Testors Dull-Cote and Testors Gloss-Cote.

Reference: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Battlefront II.

Step One: The basic figure was not changed at all. I wanted to make one of the clone snipers from the Battlefront II video game, and because the game programmers decided to use the Airborne Trooper as the basis for that character, I needed only change some of the detailing. In order to keep things interesting, I also decided to change the Trooper's unit. In the game, all of the characters are from the 501st Legion. I decided to make all of my characters members of the 41st Elite Legion.

Step Two: The new paint scheme is that of the 41st Elite Legion's regular Phase II armor. After painting the armor, I applied battle scarring using several different techniques, including drybrushing and scraping off small areas of the original armor markings. To accomplish the scuffing and scratching that is common to all military equipment, I used the edge of my X-acto knife to carefully scrape all of the armor's prominent edges. These are the areas that are most likely to brush against things and become worn or scratched.

Step Three: The sniper rifle was made with a long rifle that originally came from a POTF2 Stormtrooper (I think it was the one that had the battle damage that appeared when you got it wet or something like that). To make the sniper's scope, I cut down a spare musical instrument from one of my Bith Cantina Band Member figures and glued it to the top of the rifle. To lend stability and to ensure a good seal, I shaved just a bit of plastic from the top of the rifle and the bottom of the scope.

Step Four: A coat of Testors Gloss-Cote was applied to protect the paint and enhance the shiny appearance of the armor. Dull-Cote was used on the kama and on the sniper rifle in order to reduce shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment