Monday, October 6, 2008

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Human Jedi Master)

Obi-Wan Kenobi was the Padawan learner of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. After witnessing Jinn's death at the hands of Darth Maul, Obi-Wan engaged and killed the Sith Lord in lightsaber combat. In accordance with his Master's last request, Obi-Wan took young Anakin Skywalker as his Padawan. The two trained together for about ten years before the onset of the Clone Wars. After Anakin Skywalker fell to the Dark Side and became Darth Vader, Obi-Wan went into hiding on the planet Tatooine awaiting the day he would begin instructing Anakin's son in the ways of the Force.

Parts: Head (AOTC Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan Kenobi), Torso (AOTC Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan Kenobi), Arms (TPM Naboo Obi-Wan Kenobi), Legs (AOTC Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan Kenobi), Cloak (AOTC Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan Kenobi), Lightsaber (AOTC Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan Kenobi).

Supplies: X-acto knife, file or sandpaper, super glue, small screwdriver, brushes, Testors paints and Testors Dull-Cote.

Reference: I did this figure at a time when I was a bit short on customizing ideas, just before the release of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. It is more an improvement than a true custom figure.

Step One: The first thing I did was split the torso and remove the arms. I replaced them with the arms from the Naboo Obi-Wan Kenobi figure. I found that the pegs on the new arms were just a bit too large in diameter, so I filed them down until they fit the torso properly. I then super glued the torso back together.

Step Two: I then turned my attention to the paint-job. It was pretty good on the figure I bought except for the head. The eyes looked a little funny, and like all of the Obi-Wan figures, the hair color was way too light. So, I repainted the hair a slightly darker (and more reddish) color. I also touched up the eyes.

Step Three: I gave the figure a light coating of Testors Dull-Cote and allowed it to dry completely.

Step Four: When adding the cloak, I discovered that it was just a bit too long because the AOTC Obi-Wan figures are shorter that the TPM versions (which were too tall anyway). So I trimmed it to the proper length and then placed it on the figure.

Step Five: I gave the figure another light coating of Testors Dull-Cote and allowed it to dry. This removes the shine from the figure, giving it a more realistic appearance. It also helps to protect the paint.

Step Six: The last step was to give Obi-Wan his lightsaber. I used the one from the AOTC figure because it had the nice metal handle, as well as a removeable blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment